If you happened to read last week’s blog post (we know what you’re thinking – of course, I read it! Who hasn’t?) you’ll know that we have two new and exciting products in store for purchase: rapid COVID-19 antigen and antibody home test kits. These tests can accurately and reliably inform the user whether they have, or have been, infected with the Coronavirus, allowing for quick decision-making regarding user care and transmission prevention – all from the comfort of home. If you haven’t had the chance to read our latest article and would like to learn more about these products, including how they work, you can check that out here. We promise it’s a fantastic read if we do say so ourselves! This week we’ll be exploring how to correctly use both COVID-19 home test kits for quick and accurate results, without the need for professional equipment or expert help.
First up is the Rapid COVID-19 Antibody Test kit. For those of you who didn’t get a chance to read last week’s blog, a quick recap: this test works by taking a small sample of blood (finger prick) to detect the presence of Coronavirus antibodies in the blood within 10-15 minutes. This easy-to-use antibody test can inform the user of their COVID status before symptoms show.
But how do you use it? Here’s our step-by-step guide for simple, effective use.
- The Rapid COVID-19 Antibody Test is a complete, one-use pack with everything you need to check whether you or a loved one has been infected with the Coronavirus. It’s important to ensure you have everything in the kit within reach throughout the test and we recommend gathering some additional items to make your experience as seamless as possible: a timer, a plaster, some tissue paper.
- Wash and dry your hands thoroughly with warm, soapy water.
- Remove the COVID-19 Antibody Test from its packaging and choose either your ring or middle finger for blood sampling.
- Uncap the lancet (finger prick) and apply gentle pressure to the tip of your chosen finger until you hear a click. You need to wait for a sizable drop of blood to form – you can gently squeeze your finger to encourage this if necessary.
- Gently touch the blood collector provided to your finger, allowing the blood to travel it’s way upward to the black dotted line. Do not squeeze the blood collector instrument, allow the blood to travel naturally.
- To prevent the blood from clotting, quickly distribute the liquid to the centre of the sample hole, squeezing the valve carefully to allow the blood to flow. Then, reach for the test solution, adding the entire contents to the same sample hole, drop by drop.
- Wait 20 minutes. Your test results should now be available.
Our second test is the Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Home Test kit. To quickly recap: this test uses a simple nasal and throat swab to gather an antigen sample, used to determine the presence of COVID-19 proteins and, like the antibody test above, requires no professional equipment or expertise to use. This test displays a simple to understand YES/NO answer and gives results in as little as 15 minutes.
But how do you use it? Here’s another step-by-step guide to getting the most out of your home test kit.
Like the antibody test previously discussed, the Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Home Test kit contains everything you need to get results. However, we must stress that due to the nature of this test, it’s important to be both thorough and gentle so that you can get an accurate diagnosis while avoiding damage to your nose and throat. Incorrect handling of the swabs during testing can cause trauma to the nose and throat cavity. If you are in doubt, seek medical assistance.
- First, take a swab from the nose area. Holding the swab carefully, penetrate the nasal cavity slowly and gently until you’re touching the inside wall of the nose. Allow the swab to stay in place for about 3 seconds, then slowly rotate the swab for one cycle.
- Secondly, collect the throat swab. Again, holding the swab carefully, wipe the swab down either side of each tonsils at least 3 times. Then, with the same swab, do the same motion up and down the posterior pharyngeal wall (back wall of the throat).
- Prepare the sample next for testing. For this, add 500µl (approx 20 drops) of sample extract to the 0.5 mark of the sampling tube, dip the swab into the sample extract, making sure the swab is fully submerged in the liquid, then rotate and squeeze the swab 10 times, pull out the swab and take the stranded liquid as the sample to be tested.
- Lastly, add 2-3 drops of your sample (the sample extract from step 3) into the centre of the sample hole on the test. Wait 15 minutes. Your test results should now be available.
HandHygiene4U would like to remind its customers that whether you choose our Rapid COVID-19 Antibody Test or Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Test it is vital that you seek medical advice if you are in any doubt about the usage of your home test kit.
If you’re interested in learning about our other products, you can shop the full range here. We have everything you can think of to tackle dirt, grime and bacteria – all under one roof for your convenience!